Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Life goes by so fast....BUSY

I have not been posting lately...my excuse? BUSY.....no time. I am sure your life is a lot like mine. Always running from one thing to the next, work, kids, church,bills to pay, phone calls to make, e-mails to check etc. It just seems the older I get the busier life has become. I am not saying it is a bad thing...just trying to slow down a bit so I can enjoy life.
 
We just got home from a mini-mission trip. We went to help a new church get started. We had
prayer on Friday night, and helped them do last minute touches on their building. Saturday we went out all day and knocked on doors, inviting people to service. This was out in the country so a lot of hills and farms we walked.

We met some of the sweetest people. One lady (Faye) was 91 years old and lived alone. She was really weak due to her heart. It took her about 10 minutes to get to the door, but she yelled, " I'm coming, don't leave! " What a sweet lady to visit with.She begged us not to forget her, and even asked us to pray for her husband of 60 years that was abusive. He no longer lived with her, but she said that he needed Jesus.

 We met many people like this, just looking to talk to someone, they wanted someone to pray or just sit with them a few minutes. I asked them if we could do something for them before we left and they all said no. They were not looking for money, or workers, or a hand out. Just a friend. They felt lonely, no one to spend time with or talk to. They told us we could come back and visit any time and very often.

 It was a wonderful experience, yet it made me sad at the same time. I knew I didn't live in this area
and I personally would not be back to visit them. I did let them know this and also told them I would give their information to the pastor and that someone would come and visit with them. But, have I become too busy? I mean, I teach Sunday School, Children's church as well as the Youth and Young Adults. I go to the prayer meetings and all services. I help with the food pantry, fund raisers, I am the VBS director, I visit the sick and send cards and post cards out...and so many different things for the church. I deliver food baskets, go Christmas caroling, direct the kid's Christmas play, sing in the choir, on the worship team and on for the emsemble...and this could go on. I love doing it all....but I think I need to slow down on some of it and just go sit with those in the area I don't know yet.

 Isn't this what being a Christian is all about? I help and do many things to reach out and visit those
I know of...but I know I need to go out on my own and knock on doors and just let people know Jesus loves them and I am here to pray for them, spend time with them and just love them. Can't I spare 10 minutes a day...or maybe fit in a hour a week?

Lord, help me to be your hands, your feet. Help me not to be to busy to go to love people that need it. If I don't go...who will?

Have you ever felt to busy to do the basic thing God has called us to do?


7 comments:

  1. Johnette, this is a wonderful post! You do seem a bit busy. Too busy? Maybe. As long as you are staying in constant communication with God, He will guide you to where He wants you to be. When you feel overwhelmed and in need of a break...maybe God is speaking to your heart, telling you to step back an rest a bit and let someone else handle certain things...let someone else be blessed. You are a true blessing, lady, and I feel truly grateful to be able to call you friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chap! I know there is nothing more important than talking with God..and Him talking to me. That is a special time daily for me. I don't feel overwhelmed right now..although from time to time I do. I know God wants me to do all I am doing...but I too know I need to be on the street more. I do visit people that are visitors and also witness to those I come in contact with...but God just reminded me that He needs me to go door to door more. God is so loving and I am humbled by His great love. He just needs me and others to share this with those that cannot even get out to go for help or to church etc.
      You are a blessing to me Debbie! I love you will
      all of my heart and really appreciate you. Thanks for sharing with me and for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Johnette, you just described my life! And convicted me of the same thing. We do SO much for our church, but are we neglecting those who REALLY need us? My hubby and I are going thru the same issues (young adult leaders, catechism teacher, VBS director, Kingdom seeker teacher, cards, food, time, etc). It's so hard to give something up - we always think "who will stand up and take over?".
    Your stories of those people who just wanted friends almost broke my heart. I want to meet those people and spend time with them! I love listening to the elderly stories. Oh what to do. I hear you totally. Chappy has some good advice here, maybe you need to take a break to do what God has put on your heart. :)
    Thanks for a beautiful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad someone else understands....I know God wants me to do these things...but sometimes our focus can be on too many things...and not enough on the "Go into all the world" Those that we don't see or cannot get out..they need His love too..and also love from people.
      I will be praying for you and your husband! Thanks
      for all you do and for your willingness to do what God has called you to do!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Johnette, you are in my prayers for peace, also! We are beyond blessed to be able to do those things right now. Maybe our next "season" of life will have the ability to travel to those who need us! (speaking for both of us) :)

      Delete
  3. You do so much!! Good works in abundance from you, and I think you've stored up enough time that you deserve a break. You've answered your own question because you took the time to voice this to the whole wide world: you ARE too busy!

    Remember you, and your faith in Jesus. Let that be your beacon and where you go next and what you do next.

    I wish I had the opportunity to do some of the things you have been blessed with being able to do. Some day maybe our little church will grow and have things like choirs and VBS, but then again, working all the time would also be a strain. God knows what he is doing, so I am waiting for his signal, and you should listen for that signal too. He loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie,
    We have a small church too. My dad is the pastor and he feels (and so do I) that we should do as much outreach as we can. That is our goal..to serve the Lord with all our hearts and share Him with everyone we come in contact with. I follow Him, no matter what He wants me to do...sometimes I just get so busy I don't stop and take time for me. But God always reminds me to do so.

    I will be praying for you and your church. I know
    you guys can do it too.

    ReplyDelete