Saturday, October 12, 2013

Book Review : Blowing on Dandelions by MiraLee Ferrell

Hi friends,

 It has been awhile since I have posted. My computer died and I am borrowing one now. I wanted
to share a quick review of a book I just read. This is my first time reading a book by this author. The book is called Blowing on Dandelions by MiraLee Ferrell. I really enjoyed this story, it was the kind of book that draws you in right from the first page.



 
It brings you into the year 1880 in Oregon where a recently widowed mom of two young girls is working hard to keep her boarding house running. Raising her two young daughters is a full time job but add in boarders and then her mom (who has always been very critical) decides to move in with them. Katherine's mom was only coming for a visit, but now she has to tolerate her mother on a daily basis. I really connected with Katherine as a character. I understood her struggle to love her mom, yet stand up for herself, asking for prayer from a group of her friends, her need for love in her life....yet not knowing if she could open up since losing her husband. I also connected with her heart in raising her girls. Wanting to love them and have them open up to her, yet teach them the right way to live.

You will also meet a hard working man named Micah. He too is a widower that is bitter toward God. He struggles to work and provide and things out of his control make it difficult. He loves his son and is raising him to do the right thing. Can he be both a dad and mom to his teen son?

Blowing on Dandelions was not a typical book you find in every book store. I even liked the image of dandelions scattered through the pages. It is a sweet story that has love, pain, devastation, loss, joy, friends and the love of God. I really liked most of the characters and enjoyed the way the story of God's mercy, love and forgiveness flowed. It brought me back to a Little House on the Prairie type feel. Good, Hard-working people that love the Lord and had good morals. Of course you throw in some characters to stir the pot.

I cannot wait for the next in the series, and for me....this one is a keeper. On my bookshelf it goes!




So what are you reading? What up and coming books are you patiently waiting to be released? For me, I am so excited for MaryLu Tyndall's newest book...Elusive Hope. I just love the cover! I really enjoyed Forsaken Dreams, which is the first in the series.....and now Elusive Hope is almost here!!! If you haven't tried these authors look them up at christianbook.com , Amazon.com  or Deepershipping.com. I know there are lots of places to purchase them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not really into Western novels, but this sounds good. I am totally into MaryLu's books! It is getting close to the release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blowing on Dandelions sounds like a great book, Johnette! Thanks for the review... and for being so excited about my next release!!! You're such a sweetie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good story, Makes me think a little of the Brady Bunch, but not haha. I am just about to start reading The Protector by Dee Henderson. I read the first four of the series years ago and for some reason never read the rest. So I'm going to do that :) Also excited for Elusive Hope!

    ReplyDelete